Cloud Computing has become an integral part of the business world. Today, most organizations across the globe implement the cloud service that suits their company. Although, the question that arises in this context is the type of cloud service to use- IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service), PaaS(Platform as a Service), or SaaS (Software as a Service).
These types are beneficial in various ways, hence making it difficult to differentiate amongst them, also to choose the suitable cloud service for the organization.
This article covers the significant differences between the three Cloud service types.
Cloud Computing has 3 main categories:
- Using a Network for hosting
- Processing the data online
These services use various servers to host the data. Each Cloud computing model has its benefits and drawbacks, that help us choose the right model. The IaaS also called the Public Cloud has grown at a great pace. Meanwhile, PaaS has more focus on developers. On the other hand, SaaS has been the most common cloud service that hires software over the Internet.
The terms- IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS describe the ways used by Cloud Computing in business proceedings.
- SaaS enables the software to be accessed by third parties over the Internet
- PaaS allocates equipment and platform available over the Internet
- IaaS provides Cloud services such as storage, payment, networking, visualization
Here are the examples for each type:
We now look into the main differences between these models:
Software as a Service (SaaS):
This is the most common Cloud computing type used by businesses today. The SaaS cloud service models deliver the applications over the Internet, controlled by third-party agents. The software can be directly run on the browser and you need not download anything.
SaaS is remarkably easy to use and manage, and extremely adaptable. This model can be used across other devices and need not install it. Moreover, you could deploy easily among your team or employees. This is a great way to control and coordinate a team of freelancers across the globe.
Here are some advantages of SaaS:
- Readily available on browser, hence installation not required– mobile apps are also available
- Software can be accessed from any device, you just need to log in to the account
- Your employees can use the software without downloading it- sign in and use it
For every merit, there will be a drawback.
A significant drawback of SaaS is that you cannot have control over the infrastructure on which the software runs. If the software fails or is interrupted you will be liable.
Platform as a Service (PaaS):
Unlike SaaS, it is not easy to define PaaS. It could be a tool to develop online applications and products, or a middleware, database management, or data analytics. PaaS enables to design custom applications without data serving and storage.
An important advantage of this cloud service type is the easy deployment of large applications without having to download or purchase the corresponding infrastructure. Rather, you could do everything online- servers, database, operating system, etc.
Here are some PROs of PaaS:
- allows the administrators to control the platform software and the applications built using the platform
- cloud services enable and support multiple programming languages, providing developers the opportunity to work on various projects.
There are some drawbacks too:
- You have control only over the products built over the platform, and if there is a power fails it destroys the software
- Certain charges would be unpredictable as the service charges often rise
- Flexibility and customer control are limited
- To get the maximum advantage overPaaS you need to have a basic knowledge in coding
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS):
These are services comprising ‘pay-as-you-go’ storage, networking, and virtualization. The cloud computing host provides and controls the physical framework comprising the servers, the storage, etc. Meanwhile, the customer controls almost everything else such as the Operating system, Virtual Machines (VMs), or containers, and a few applications or middleware.
You can compare IaaS to the applications running in your data center. A notable difference of IaaS among other cloud service types is that the IT team in the organization need not deploy, configure and maintain the instrument used by the application, thus enabling the businesses to acquire the instrument and services with lesser on-site resources cost.
Let us look at the advantages of IaaS:
- Less or no expenses on hardware resources such as servers, storage, networking apparatus, etc. As a business, you need not invest on expensive infrastructure
- IaaS is highly scalable, in case of Cloud-based solutions, which enable access to auxiliary resources to enhance your apps
Correspondingly, there are a few limitations:
- The Cloud service type is not the least Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), and the team will be accountable of most tasks in the case of managing IT
- The costs of IaaS services cannot be predictable. Even though the flexibility makes IaaS attractive to many businesses or organization, there could be more users than expected and forget to terminate the phases, which would cost you really high.
As mentioned in the introduction, the requirement of cloud service depends on the type of business you do. Every cloud computing service has pros and cons, thus easily choosing a suitable service.
The IaaS enables you to take more control over the applications and processes, although you should not forget the expenses and the unpredicted fees you would incur.
Meanwhile, SaaS is considered the most desirable cloud computing service model. With this model, applications can be used without having to control the infrastructure.
PaaS is extensively suitable for developers who do not wish to spend much more on the required platforms to complete the projects.
It’s quite essential to consider the business goals before you choose the appropriate cloud service model.
There are certain business goals covered by cloud services:
- For companies looking for innovative services such as CRM, email, certain collab tools, SaaS is the most suitable model
- Looking for a platform to build software products? Choose PaaS
- Is your business looking for Virtual Machine? IaaS is just the right model!
Hope the article was helpful in choosing the suitable cloud service model for your business.
Also Read: What is the difference???? How to choose???